We followed the usual format:
- wait for everyone to arrive
- children play with resources set up to inspire talk about the story
- read the story to children and families, using props
- make some things to take home
- have a drink and a snack
- read the story again using the children's props
- hand out certificates and evaluations
The Paper Dolls is a wonderful story about a little girl whose Mother helps her make a chain of paper dolls to play with. And they are:
Ticky and Tacky
and Jackie the Backie
and Jim with two noses
and Jo with the bow
The children very quickly remembered the names and joined in with the rhyme in the story. The paper dolls have lots of adventures and meet lots of familiar creatures, like the crocodile (or Mum's oven glove). The ending is sad but happy, makes lots of the grown-ups cry, and consists of a lovely new set of paper dolls for a new little girl to play with. If I tell you anymore about it I will give it all away.
So here are some images from our Story Cafe and the book to inspire you.
And here are Ticky and Tacky and Jackie the Backie and Jim with two noses and Jo with the bow.
I think you will love this story as much as we all do. And it's a lovely excuse to sit down, find some paper and scissors and make some paper dolls.