-->

Book Review | What will I be?



What will I be is written by Richard Sinclair and illustrated by Jon Lycett-Smith.



It's been sent to me as a board book.  I'm a big fan of board books, because although the pages are generally a lot smaller than a traditional sized picture book, they are relatively indestructible when left in the hands of little people.  And little people need to have books accessible to them to pick up and look at on their own sometimes.  And this is a big enough board book for the illustrations to be detailed while the children are still able to spot all the little extras on the pages, like the dog that appears somewhere in each illustration.

It's about a Dad and his little boy, having a chat about what the little boy might like to be when he grows up.  From Prime Minister to teacher to mad scientist, lots of options are considered...


I read this with a group of 2-3 year olds.  They liked the rhyming text - it always seems to grab them as they listen for the next rhyming phrase.  And they liked spotting the dog on every page, sometimes this was quite a challenge but this made it fun.  The older children were able to talk about what they might like to be when they are "grown up", favourites today were teacher and olympic runner.

The book comes as a digital app too.  I was unsure about this at first...  I am a big fan of books that are made of paper, refuse to own an ebook reader, and have too many books to fit on our shelves.  However the publishers Digital Leaf, although starting out as digital-only publishers, have broadened what they do to include physical traditional paper books.  A sequel, "Where will I go?" is in the pipeline.  I have to say, I'm looking forward to this one...

And if you are interested, links to the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) -

  • Understanding the World (people and communities) - shows interest in different occupations and ways of life
  • Communication and language (listening and attention) - listens to and enjoys rhythmic patterns in rhymes and stories


For more story ideas and inspiration:


[Thanks to the publishers for sending me a copy of this book to review]

No comments:

Post a Comment